How might we design plant-based, cultivated meat, and precision fermented alternative proteins in the most people and planet friendly ways?
In our second design episode, we speak with Sonalie Figueiras, a Hong Kong-based social entrepreneur and founder and the Editor in Chief of Green Queen, a sustainability and impact media platform that educates millions of readers on the connection between health, sustainability and the environment and showcases future solutions from Asia and across the globe. She is also the co-founder and CEO of organic sourcing platform Ekowarehouse and climate tech SaaS Source Green, which helps consumer brands quit plastic packaging thanks to proprietary plastic reduction software. And she’s an advisor to multiple mission-driven startups and NGOs, and a venture partner to several VC funds.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The complexity of designing people and planet friendly products
- Sonalie’s 5 product design principles
- The good and the bad of plant-based products
- Sonalie’s take on slowing plant-based sales
- Why plant-based companies need to focus on the human ethics of their supply chain
- How biotech companies might think about designing people and planet friendly products
- Why governments need to invest in cultivated meat and precision fermentation technology
- Green Queen: https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/
- Source Green: www.sourcegreen.co
- Design Episode with Julia Collins
- Natural Fiber Welding: https://www.naturalfiberwelding.com/
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation (EMF) Circular Economy & Big Food Redesign: https://ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/topics/food/overview
- UNLIMEAT: https://unlimeat.co/
- What Questions Should We Be Asking About Cell-Based Meats? https://www.forbes.com/sites/errolschweizer/2021/05/06/what-questions-should-we-be-asking-about-cell-based-meats/
- What Consumers Should Ask About Precision Fermentation: https://www.forbes.com/sites/errolschweizer/2022/03/02/what-should-consumers-be-asking-about-precision-fermentation/
- Asia Pacific Cultivated Protein Alliance: https://www.apac-sca.org/
We’ve teamed up with our partners at New Hope Network to offer ALL of our listeners an exclusive 25% off discount for an Expo West 2023 badge and ONE lucky listener will have the opportunity to win a free booth at Expo West 2024 ($8k value).
To enter, do the following by February 17th:
- Head to New Food Order’s show page on Apple Podcasts
- Make sure you are subscribed
- Leave us a review - good or bad - but hopefully good! Scroll to the bottom of the page to do so.
- Screenshot the review and email it to Meg at email@example.com - if you’re interested in the 25% discount to this year’s Expo, please call it out in the email.
- Lastly, head to newfoodorder.org - select newsletter - and register to receive our newsletters. In addition to New Food Order content, AgFunder and Food+Tech Connect publish the leading newsletters for the food and agtech community.
- Those who follow New Hope Network, Food + Tech Connect and AgFunder on Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn will receive double entry.
Subscribe to our newsletters that track all of the business, tech, and investment trends in food: https://tinyurl.com/nfonewsletters
Follow us on Instagram: @newfoodorderpod
Follow us on Linkedin: @agfunder & @foodtechconnect
This series is sponsored by Foodshot Global & New Hope Network
New Hope Network
New Hope Network is a media, events and business intelligence company, covering natural products trends, industry insights and marketplace data that educate the industry about key issues, like regenerative agriculture, sustainability, responsible sourcing and more. Visit newhope.com.
FoodShot leverages resources from investors around the world to provide non-dilutive, equity, and post-investment capacities to innovators. Find out more at foodshot.org.
Production: Cam Gray, Cofruition
Audio Editing: Tevin Sudi
Original Music: Rodrigo Barbera